My first attempt NYMR

Are you thinking about building your own route? or are you already in progress? Talk to the experts in here and find out the best way to do things!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My first attempt NYMR

Postby msey0002 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:10 am

wow great stuff
regards,
Mark
msey0002
Very Active Forum Member

Postby DavidH2005 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:52 pm

Ha ha - I can see the cottage I used to live in at Undercliffe . . . .

gougha wrote:A couple of updates for you.

Park street and Undercliffe.

Click the image to zoom in

Regards

Amdy
give someone a green jacket and a red pen and they think they are "god" - so sad.
DavidH2005
Getting the hang of things now

Postby gougha on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Hope it looks about right. (at the front anyway).
Regards
Andy

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
gougha
Been on the forums for a while

Postby buckbeak on Wed May 02, 2012 12:31 am

Hey Andy :)
This is looking amazing :D NYMR is my favourite railway, and it's really good to see all the custom assets. They really help the realism, bet it takes a long time to make them all though :P Keep up the good work.

Danny
buckbeak
Very Active Forum Member

Postby gougha on Thu May 03, 2012 11:25 pm

Another trip to the line this coming Sunday for some more photos and a trip to the shop at Grosmont MPD. I’m hoping they still have the route learning DVD I’ve been hearing about. I hope the weather is nice too.

If any of you guys that work there see an overweight tourist taking some unusual pictures it will probably be me. Lol

Regards

Andy
gougha

Postby jivebunny on Thu May 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Some nice work going on here Andy, quite a few custom buildings your churning out! I'm with you on the war memorial, don't think it would feel right if it couldn't be read.

Keep it up :)

JB
"Moving half of West London would be a ridiculous amount of work."
jivebunny
Very Active Forum Member

Postby stewtwinkle on Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 pm

As tis the Steam Gala this weekend, it might be difficult to spot which one is you ;)

This really is stunning work. Going to be hard to be patient waiting for this :P

I realise it's a long way off, but if you plan on making scenarios for it's release/post release, I'll gladly assist in helping you get the operation of the railway as realistic (as possible) as the route itself.
stewtwinkle

Postby gougha on Mon May 07, 2012 7:37 am

Due to circs beyond my control (ie I was called in to work) I didnt get up at the weekend. Hope the gala went well. I will hopefully get my next visit in very soon. Thanks for the offers of help. Im sure it will be called upon in due time.
Regards
Andy

gougha

Postby sweep54 on Fri May 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Excellent detailed work. I live in Scarborough and visit Pickering on many occasions. The accuracy and attention to detail is truly of the highest level. It is this that has prompted me to ask you some basic questions. I am on my first attempt also and have set about trying to create Scarborough to Malton in steam days and would like to have a go at some custom assets. I would like to know what software / routine you use in creating your excellent buildings. I may have some skills which may be usable (or not) and could do with some advice. For an occupation I design buses and coaches at Plaxtons, and am very familiar with using Catia and Solid Edge on a daily basis. This gives me a good background in 3d modelling but the type of work that you guys produce, I believe, requires different skills. Also I don't know what software systems are compatable to get things into Railworks. Sorry this is a bit drawn out, but your work has inspired me to learn and ask.

Regards
sweep
sweep54

Postby gougha on Fri May 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Hi Sweep.

Thanks for the compliments and can I say that I am pretty much making this up as I go along however I will try and pass on as much as I can.

I tried to use the different modelling programs i.e. Blender and 3d Crafter to make the models from scratch but found them to complicated. I needed something simple. That’s when I found Google sketchup.

Google Sketchup.
The basic version is free and with a bit of tinkering you can get stuff from this into railworks. The other advantage is that there are loads of tutorials on YouTube showing you how to use photographs to make 3d models using sketchup which makes it ideal for the route I am building.
In order to get the model out of sketchup and into railworks does require a bit of technical knowledge of windows and virtual PC. I have windows 7 which allows me to have windows xp as a virtual pc. A virtual pc is like a pc within a pc and allows me in effect to run 2 versions of sketchup without them interfering with each other. On the virtual PC I have installed the trial version of Sketchup Pro. When I downloaded this it gave me about 300 minutes (I think) of use before it wanted me to buy it. Once I got it working I used the free version to make my models (in windows 7) and I only use the pro version (in windows xp) to transfer my models into a 3ds version. Because I’m only using the pro version for a minute at a time it allows me to create lots of models without spending lots of money. (I guess I will have to buy the pro version at some time in the future.) (Expensive but fun). (I am in no means telling you to do this but if you take backup of your virtual pc when you have still got 300 minutes then 300 minutes would still be available if you restored your virtual pc from the backup.)

Sketchup Pro (Trial) Export
Exporting the models to 3ds also exports all of the textures as well. When you export you need to make sure that you select export… 3d Model from the file menu and then select the option button. Make sure Single option is selected in the top drop down box and export texture maps is checked. Then click ok. Save the model in its own folder so that the 3ds file and the textures are all together.

3d Crafter
Then load the exported 3ds model into 3dcrafter. I have bought a licence for the pro version of 3dCrafter as I needed the export functions for railworks. Because you are importing the whole model you don’t have to worry too much about the modelling side of 3dcrafter. We are only using it as a way to convert our model.

Textures
You also need to have a paint program that is capable of loading jpg files and saving them as Tiff files. When sketchup exports the model it saves the textures as jpg files. All of the textures in the folder need to be converted to Tiff files. I use Paintshop Pro which has a bulk convert button. We aren’t finished with the textures yet however. All the textures that you load into Railworks have to have sides that are of a certain length and width. In pixels they can be any combination of these numbers, 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048. You should try and refrain from using textures that are huge as this will slow the simulator down. You need to resize all of your new tiff files so that they fall into these sizes.

Back to 3dCrafter
In 3d crafter you need to import the 3ds model. This should arrive with the jpg textures in the right places on the model. You need to then manually change each of the textures to the Tiff ones. Don’t worry about the tiff textures being different sizes to the jpeg ones because 3dCrafter will sort out the maths. Once this is completed you can export into railworks using the plugin that is provided with 3dCrafter Pro. The files that railworks needs will be created in your my documents folder. These can the be copied to your developer folders inside of railworks.

Railworks.
There are lots of threads on this forum showing you how to build the file structure and blueprints that allow you to use your models but if you have any questions then please ask.

I hope I haven’t lost you. As you can see it’s a bit of a faff but making models in sketchup is lots easier that the other methods. One day, you never know, someone might actually build an export for sketchup that will put your model straight into railworks. Don’t let the complexities put you off. Seeing your model appear is quite a thrill. Any issues that I can clarify then let me know.
gougha

Postby Acorncomputer on Sat May 19, 2012 7:24 am

That does seem complicated. I find that GIMP (free) and 3D Canvas Pro (Crafter) do everything I need but I do understand that sticking to a system that works for you is often the best way, even it is a bit complicated. I am certainly guilty of this myself :D

The net result is that your models are very good.

-
Geoff Potter
Working on Something
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Postby gougha on Sat May 19, 2012 10:58 am

:lol: Yes I agree that I should probably learn to use 3d Crafter as the model builder but I’m afraid It’s a bit beyond my skill set at the moment. It sure would make model making quicker though. :lol:

Regards

Andy
gougha

Postby haddock1000 on Sat May 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Have you tried exporting in SU Free into kmz format, and then renaming the file extension to *.zip? You may find some useful filesin there!

thanks,

haddock1000
See what's new: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/chaddockengineering/
Now also on twitter! http://twitter.com/haddock1000
part of the Chaddock Engineering group - trying to make things easy!
haddock1000
Virtual Rail Engineer

Re: Re: My first attempt NYMR

Postby gougha on Sat May 19, 2012 2:47 pm

haddock1000 wrote:Have you tried exporting in SU Free into kmz format, and then renaming the file extension to *.zip? You may find some useful filesin there!

thanks,

haddock1000

Does that export with all of the textures still attached and in place. Im always open to new ways of doing things?

Regards

Andy

gougha

Postby sweep54 on Sat May 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks Andy for a very detailed response, this obviously took up some time. I have dabbled a bit with Sketchup in the past but not pursued it. My nature is that I want to understand all the steps of a process, and have a feeling that I could accomplish them somehow. If not, I tend to view it as a potential waste of time, hence little progress. But seeing your excellent results and knowing that you have done this starting out with Sketchup has given me fresh encouragement. My stumbling block will the texturing side of things. in fact my lack of understanding of the basics of this process is where I need help. I have noted the comments from Acorncomputer and haddock1000 about other possibilities and am also grateful for their input on the subject. If anyone has a few good pointers on this it would be appreciated.

Regards
sweep
sweep54

PreviousNext

Return to [TS13/TS14/TS15] Route Building