WCML Class 86 - Fix For Missing Run Down Notch

General discussion about RailWorks, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: WCML Class 86 - Fix For Missing Run Down Notch

Postby alanch on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:34 pm

AndyUK wrote:
msey0002 wrote:Hi, once applied, does this patch affect all reskins, or do I have to change each one? (for example, for the ICS and BR Blue ones available today)

To be honest I don't know, I don't have the reskins myself. If they reference the default loco's .bin file (UK Class 86.bin) then the reskin should inherit the patch.

Andy L

They don't reference the default engine's bin file, and neither do the NSE ones - you need to edit each one individually.
Alan

My railway photos are back - you can access them from https://plus.google.com/photos/10506703 ... banner=pwa . Lots of steam and early diesels from the late 1950s and early 1960s.
alanch
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Dimcore999 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:39 pm

msey0002 wrote:Hi, once applied, does this patch affect all reskins, or do I have to change each one? (for example, for the ICS and BR Blue ones available today)

Yes, we need to change the UK Class 86.bin for each of these reskin. Just checked specifically.

regards
Dimcore999
Getting the hang of things now

Postby transadelaide on Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:18 am

AndyUK wrote:Procedure:
1. Decompile UK Class 86.bin in the .....\railworks\Assets\keithmross\WCMLNorth\RailVehicles\Electric\Class86\Default\Engine folder using serz.exe
2. Open the resulting UK Class 86.xml file with a suitable text editor
3. Find the entry "runback" without the quotes
4. On the line below change the value after "string" to 0.2860
5. Save the edited UK Class 86.xml file
6. Convert the UK Class 86.xml file back to UK Class 86.bin using serz.exe
7. Start the RW launcher and press 'Clear Cache' on the Tools and Docs tab
8. Start RW proper and the Class 86 should work as advertised.

Andy L

I followed all the way through until I got to step four, upon which I found that the value was set to 0.286 even before I changed anything. I haven't touched anything to do with the WCML Class 86 so does this mean it has already been fixed?
transadelaide
Very Active Forum Member

Postby alexhunter on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:44 am

You need to add a 0 after 286 so it reads 0.2860
The user formally known as kevinhunter1984
alexhunter
Getting the hang of things now

Postby AndyUK on Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:26 am

transadelaide wrote:
AndyUK wrote:Procedure:
1. Decompile UK Class 86.bin in the .....\railworks\Assets\keithmross\WCMLNorth\RailVehicles\Electric\Class86\Default\Engine folder using serz.exe
2. Open the resulting UK Class 86.xml file with a suitable text editor
3. Find the entry "runback" without the quotes
4. On the line below change the value after "string" to 0.2860
5. Save the edited UK Class 86.xml file
6. Convert the UK Class 86.xml file back to UK Class 86.bin using serz.exe
7. Start the RW launcher and press 'Clear Cache' on the Tools and Docs tab
8. Start RW proper and the Class 86 should work as advertised.

Andy L

I followed all the way through until I got to step four, upon which I found that the value was set to 0.286 even before I changed anything. I haven't touched anything to do with the WCML Class 86 so does this mean it has already been fixed?

I am not aware of a fixed version being released, my installation still has the file I altered. The acid test is of course if the run down notch works, if it doesn't you need to do the mod. Check carefully what you're looking at, the original has 0.0286 not 0.2860 as it should be.

Andy L
AndyUK
Very Active Forum Member

Postby zm4em on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks for the fix Andy.
My D-key and my left pointing finger, are very very greatful. :D

Grtz
Erik
zm4em
Been on the forums for a while

Postby bdy26 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:23 pm

Great fix, thanks guys.

I did notice a weird physics thing with the 86, if you flip it so the Pan is leading, it slows going downhill and then picks up speed on the flat and uphill. Pan trailing has normal behaviour. Can anyone else replicate this?

B
bdy26
Very Active Forum Member

Postby bigphill2 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:57 am

Thanks Andy
Much appreciated
Phill
bigphill2
Well Established Forum Member

Postby Wikkus on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:15 am

AndyUK wrote:The missing run down notch can be added, and the 'phantom' off notch removed by a simple edit of the UK Class 86.bin file.

Brilliant fix, Andy, thanks a bunch! :D

Rik.
Wikkus
Very Active Forum Member

Postby zm4em on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Sorry, my English is not good enough to explain all this, but I was trying to install David's Freightliner 86501 in combination with the modified UK Class 86.bin file and it didn't exaclty worked out like I expected. Please check this out.

The repaint is not showing up anymore ?

http://forums.atomic-systems.com/viewto ... 044f33745a

Erik
zm4em

Postby zm4em on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:38 pm

zm4em wrote:Sorry, my English is not good enough to explain all this, but I was trying to install David's Freightliner 86501 in combination with the modified UK Class 86.bin file and it didn't exaclty worked out like I expected. Please check this out.

The repaint is not showing up anymore ?

After several attempts and different error messages it finally works.
I think editing the UK Class 86.bin provided by Dave was the solution.
PS It’s not the first time I’m noticing Rw is having problems with saving changes I make.

http://forums.atomic-systems.com/viewto ... 044f33745a

Erik
zm4em

Postby msmith4000 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:31 pm

msmith4000 wrote:
USRailFan wrote:
Have you had a chance to look at the 'Heavy Freight' scenario for Hagen - Siegen (I reported a serious bug, most likely signalling related, with that about a week and a half or so ago)?

I remeber your post about that, I'm just going through all the Hagen - Siegen scenario's just now (I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying them, and its a great route), will try this scenario tomorrow and let you know if I come across the same problem USRailFan, a wee experiment to see if my Railworks install does the same.

Just tested this scenario USRailFan, and I get it too, just before the points to Kreuztal Gate 4, also sent an email to RSC support.
msmith4000
Established Forum Member

Postby USRailFan on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:05 pm

msmith4000 wrote:Just tested this scenario USRailFan, and I get it too, just before the points to Kreuztal Gate 4, also sent an email to RSC support.

I don't know if you've heard anything from RSC support, but here's the answer I got from German Railroads (which created this scenario):

"Hi Xxx,

I have checked it and I have no good news. It seems, that they have changed something in the priority controlling. At the moment the NV1 waits before Kreutal, GZ2 and (very funny because he is 10 km away) GZ3 blocks this switch. Normally the NV1 as a passenger train should have priority before the freight trains. So it seems, that this scenario will work only if they change the priority controlling back to the regular work."

So it seems that the only way to successfully play this scenario is to find a way to backdate Railworks to v108.0 :(
USRailFan
Very Active Forum Member

Postby msmith4000 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:15 pm

USRailFan wrote:I don't know if you've heard anything from RSC support, but here's the answer I got from German Railroads (which created this scenario):

"Hi Xxx,

I have checked it and I have no good news. It seems, that they have changed something in the priority controlling. At the moment the NV1 waits before Kreutal, GZ2 and (very funny because he is 10 km away) GZ3 blocks this switch. Normally the NV1 as a passenger train should have priority before the freight trains. So it seems, that this scenario will work only if they change the priority controlling back to the regular work."

So it seems that the only way to successfully play this scenario is to find a way to backdate Railworks to v108.0 :(

Hmmm not heard anything back yet USRailFan but I only emailed them Sunday night. Certainly not the less than satisfactory half-hearted brush-off answer/solution I would have expected from the German's who I generally associate as a nation who prides themselves as an exporter of high quality, luxury, reliable goods. An answer along the lines of "Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention, this will be rectified within the week, as way of apology please accept this voucher which will entitle you to a 50% discount off any of the Railworks DLC currently available on steam." should have been the reply from them.

Shows that their quality control is lacking, they should be testing their routes on every update release. If I get the same reply from them, it will be scant thanks for spending a good 1.5 to 2 hours of my time to help them out, running through the scenario three times and sitting and waiting for five services to pass in the other direction to see if the route clears before typing up a comprensive email describing in fair detail what the problem is and providing the locations, junctions, times and train services involved. Shows that they did not even bother to wait for GZ3 to pass Kreutzal (which i did) because if that service was blocking the switch as they say then the points would have cleared after it had passed.

Its a shame that the after sales customer services supplied by RSC's German partners does not match the quality of the route itself, and the Heavy freight scenario was lining up to be one of the best scenarios on the route a nice long run from Saigen to Hagen.

It will not take long for the frequenters of these forums to realise that I have little tolerance of poor customer service, but on the other hand is the first to praise good service and reward such service by exercising the credit card. If I get the same reply I'll be emailing the managing director of RSC directly to inform him of the reply I have received from their German counterparts. Rant over. 8)
msmith4000
Established Forum Member

Postby Wikkus on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:13 pm

msmith4000 wrote:It will not take long for the frequenters of these forums to realise that I have little tolerance of poor customer service

Hang on... I wasn't aware that Hagen-Siegen was the IP of German Railroads... just the stock...?

Certainly not the less than satisfactory half-hearted brush-off answer/solution I would have expected from the German's who I generally associate as a nation who prides themselves as an exporter of high quality, luxury, reliable goods

Now I'm *really* confused... My experience with most German manufacturers and their products is that the manufacturers are usually very eager to ensure that the "customer experience" is a positive one, especially in the (usually rare) circumstance where the product has failed and let the customer down for fear of tarnishing the image of "the brand". You're saying that you *expect* poor service from Germans...? And then you contradict that... :-? Did you really mean that?

I'm left wondering what the whole wall of text was actually about, tbh; GR say that RSC have altered the code which breaks their (GR's) scenario...? If true, then RSC would do well to advise the community at large of such changes with additional information/advice on what this means to those affected. Why would GR then be in any way obliged to offer a "voucher which will entitle you to a 50% discount off any of the Railworks DLC currently available on steam." ??? Fix it, yes, but why would they give money away for something that's not of their doing?

it will be scant thanks for spending a good 1.5 to 2 hours of my time to help them out, running through the scenario three times and sitting and waiting for five services to pass in the other direction to see if the route clears

Should have used the AsyncControlKeys flag to speed up the process...

On a related note, though, whilst this may sound like stating the bleedin' obvious, but as has been commented elsewhere, RSC hardly help themselves by not utilising Steam's ability to provide change-release notes. On the rare occasion where they do state what's been altered (sporadic, at best), it's often in the form of "We changed a widget" which, unless you're au fait with what widgets do, could potentially be meaningless. Even in cases of widget-awareness, unless detail is provided as to what changes have been made and therefore what the consequences are/are likely to be, this sort of "detail" itself can be less than useful. In other words, their change-control documentation is inconsistent.

Rik.
Wikkus
Very Active Forum Member

PreviousNext

Return to [RW] General RW Discussion